Add User Added Transfer Institutions and Data Sets
This article provides an overview of how to create User Added Transfer Institutions & Data Sets in TES®.
Articles in this series:
- User Added Courses
- Add User Added Transfer Institutions and Data Sets
- Add User Added Transfer Departments
- Add User Added Transfer Courses
- Create Evaluation Tasks with User Added Transfer Courses
- Create Equivalencies to User Added Transfer Courses
- Update User Added Transfer Courses
- Delete User Added Transfer Courses
- Find Equivalencies to User Added Transfer Courses
User Added Transfer Courses allow colleges and universities to add User Added Institutions, Data Sets, Departments, and Courses for use in evaluation. This enables institutions to create evaluation tasks for and/or equivalencies to:
- Transfer courses not found in existing TES® course data sets; and
- Transfer courses at institutions without course data sets in TES.
This feature can additionally be used to organize and manage an institution's Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process. Within User Added Courses, users can create entities as institutions and organize reviews into data sets by academic year. If there are multiple departments conducting prior learning reviews, evaluations could be organized further by department. Managing prior learning via User Added Courses allows the institution to take advantage of the TES Evaluation Tracker Workflow as a means to facilitate and track the evaluation process.
Before creating User Added Transfer Courses, institutions must consider the following:
- CollegeSource will not validate or consolidate user added data against actual catalogs collected through the acquisition process.
- This means that if official course data exists in TES (or is later added to TES) and is additionally created through the user added process, no validation or consolidation of the user added submissions will occur to the official catalog/data set(s). It will be up to the institution to make any adjustments and/or define future data according to the institution's own business processes.
- If a course data set is not available in TES, it may be of benefit to the institution (and all users of TES) to request a catalog be added to TES or request more information about acquisition efforts. While user added data is available to the institution that creates it, official data sets are available to all users of TES.
To create, edit, or delete User Added Courses, the CREATE EQ user right is required.
Add a Transfer Institution
To add a Transfer Institution:
1. Go to the Match menu.
2. Select User Added Courses.
3. The user will be prompted to select the type of data to manage.
- Home Data is selected by default.
- Toggle the Transfer Data radio button.
- Select Submit.
- Toggle the Transfer Data radio button.
4. The User Added Institution screen will appear. Any previously created user added transfer institutions will be listed.
The following information will display, if available/entered:
|College, university, or organization the course is from
|City in which the college, university, or organization resides
|State in which the college, university, or organization resides
|Country in which the college, university, or organization resides
TES® will alert the user if the individual is creating an institution with the same name and within the same country and state as an institution currently in TES. If state is not available, an alert will be issued if the same institution name and country are being used. The user will be asked to review carefully to avoid duplicates. The user can select Confirm to proceed with adding the institution using duplicate data or Cancel to stop adding the institution.
TES users should avoid adding institutions with the same name as those in TES.
- When determining naming conventions for User Added Transfer Institutions, it is advised that a designation be added to the institution name that clearly indicates the institution was added by a TES user.
- Options include adding the following to the institution name:
- - (initials) UA;
- - (TES Subscribing Institution Name Initials) Added; or
- - Non-Catalog Courses.
5. Select +Add Institution.
6. The ADD INSTITUTION pop-up will appear. Enter the following information:
|Enter the name of the college, university, or organization
|Select the country in which the college, university, or organization resides from the drop-down
|Select the state in which the college, university, or organization resides from the drop-down
Required if within the United States
For institutions outside the United States:
If state locations are not available (or do not exist) for a particular non-US country, a message will display next to the State field noting "State is currently unavailable."
If state locations are available for a particular non-US country, users will be prompted to select a state from the drop-down but are not required to do so.
|Enter the city in which the college, university, or organization resides
|Enter the website URL of the college, university, or organization
7. Select Create.
Regardless of the casing utilized when creating the User Added Institution, institution name, country, and city will be capitalized elsewhere throughout TES®.
Institutions should be aware that abbreviations and alias searches cannot be used to locate User Added Institutions within the INSTITUTION SEARCH fields in TES. CollegeSource recommends entering the full name of the User Added Institution (or at least the most unique part).
If any errors were made in creating the User Added Transfer Institution, the user can select the Edit an Institution button to the left of the institution name.
- The EDIT INSTITUTION pop-up will appear.
- Adjust the needed information and select Update to save changes.
Add a Data Set
Once the User Added Transfer Institution has been created, a data set can be established.
1. On the User Added Institution screen, select the arrow to the left of the institution's name ("Select an institution").
2. The User Added Data Set page will appear, with the name of the institution and its location noted. When entering this page upon initially creating the institution, a message will appear indicating that no data records are found.
3. Select + Add Data Set.
4. The ADD DATA SET pop-up will appear. The institution name will already be prepopulated.
Enter the name of the data set title
|College University 2022-2023 - CSU Added
|Select the first effective year of the data set from the drop-down
|Select the last effective year of the data set from the drop-down
5. Select Create.
Regardless of the casing utilized when creating the data set title, the title will be capitalized elsewhere throughout TES®.
Next Step: Add User Added Transfer Departments