Peer Sharing: View Peer Equivalencies
This article provides instructions for viewing peer institutions' equivalencies when reviewing a course description through the Course Finder.
Articles in this series:
- Peer Sharing: Overview and Management
- Peer Sharing: View Peer Equivalencies
Peer Sharing is a feature that allows TES® Administrators to designate other TES-subscribing institutions as peers for the purpose of seeing how these colleges and universities are evaluating courses and other learning experiences for transfer and award of credit. Individuals with the CREATE EVAL or CREATE EQ user right can view peer equivalencies when reviewing course descriptions in the Course Finder. This information can be used as a reference point when evaluating credit or advocating for practice and/or policy changes. System colleges can also use this feature to collaborate with one another on statewide transfer and articulation.
View Peer Equivalencies
To begin viewing peer equivalencies:
- Go to the Search menu.
- Select Course Finder.
- Use the INSTITUTION SEARCH box to enter the name of the institution whose course needs evaluation.
- The U.S. Schools toggle is selected by default.
- If needed, toggle Non U.S. Schools or All to broaden the search.
- Select Search.
- Select the arrow to the left of the institution's name.
- Select the data set from which the course should be reviewed from the drop-down menu.
- Or, search across all data sets using the Course Code or Course Title toggles.
- Use the Course Code or Course Titles toggle, or the SELECT DEPARTMENT drop-down, to locate the course.
- Once identified, mark the checkbox to the left of the course.
- Select View.
Need additional assistance? See Locating Institutions & Courses in the TES® Support Center.
- To the right of the EQUIVALENCY HISTORY field, select Peer EQ.
If multiple courses have been selected through the Course Finder, the user will need to select the Peer EQ button next to each individual course to view the equivalencies to each.
- The Peer Equivalency page will appear.
To the right of the transfer course description will be a list of the colleges and universities the school has identified as peer institutions. If the peer institutions have active equivalencies to the course that are not hidden from the TES® Public View, they will be listed.
If no active non-hidden equivalencies exist at an institution, only the institution name will appear in the PEER EQUIVALENCIES list. The selectable arrow button will not display.
It's important to note that many-to-many and many-to-one equivalencies that contain this transfer course will appear within the list of PEER EQUIVALENCIES.
- I.e., if CollegeSource University (JP) created an equivalency to the Community College of Rhode Island's ENGL 1010 and 2010, it would appear in the list of equivalencies to ENGL 1010.
The following information will display under PEER EQUIVALENCIES:
Name of college or university
Course identifier (often structured as a subject + number)
Includes all courses from the institution's data set: those from the institution's official catalog and User Added Home Courses
Name of the course (a brief label)
Credit value of the course (educational systems vary; this number could represent semester, quarter, unit, or other credit types; may not be populated for User Added Home Courses)
Select the arrow to the left of the institution name to be taken to the EQUIVALENCY DETAIL page.
The following information will display:
First day on which the equivalency is effective
If no Begin Date is entered, the equivalency is considered effective from the “beginning of time” (or at least since the course was created)
Last day on which the equivalency is effective
If no End Date is entered, the equivalency is considered effective into the future.
Notes to display in the Public View
Maximum length: 1,024 characters
When optional data is not provided by the institution, the field name will not appear.
For a detailed explanation of these fields, see My Evaluations: Tasks Assigned to Me.
Lecture Hours (optional)
Lab Hours (optional)
Other Hours (optional)
Grade Basis (optional)
Course tag(s) (optional)
Return to COURSE DETAIL
To return to the COURSE DETAIL page:
- Select the x at the top right to exit the EQUIVALENCY DETAIL page.
- Within the navigation path, select COURSE DETAIL.
- From here, proceed with
1 Additional example of equivalency information in the EQUIVALENCY DETAIL screen. Users can see the BEGIN DATE and PUBLIC NOTE supplied by CollegeSource University (JP). User Added Home Courses are also included in the equivalency.